African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Social Safeguards & Compliance Officer, SNSC
Location: Niamey, Niger
Position N°: 50083293
- The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions.
- The SNVP will lead senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
The Hiring Department:
- Located within the SVNP Complex, the E&S Safeguards and Compliance Department (SNSC) is responsible for mainstreaming environmental and social development considerations into Bank-financed operations in the public and private sectors through the implementation of the Integrated Safeguard System (ISS).
- The Department’s main tasks is to improve the quality-at-entry (QAE) of Bank operations, including Country Strategy Papers and project-specific interventions (projects, ESW, etc.) as well as during implementation, with a particular emphasis on enhancing developmental effectiveness through application of environmental, social and climate safeguards procedures and tools at various stages of the project cycle.
- The Safeguards and Compliance Department’s mission is to ensure proper application of the Integrated Safeguards System (ISS) and its associated procedures, guidelines and tools, in order to enhance environmental, social and climate sustainability into the Bank’s operations.
- The Principal Social Safeguards & Compliance Officer works under the supervision and overall direction of the Director of the Department of Environmental and Social Safeguards and Compliance (SNSC).
Duties and Responsibilities
The Principal Social Safeguards & Compliance Officer’s core duties/responsibilities will include the following:
- Mainstreaming of social aspects in operations, including safeguards, gender and social inclusion. As task team member, he/she will provide support to Task Managers and Borrowers/Clients in identifying, mainstreaming and monitoring social development and safeguard aspects/concerns in Bank-funded operations during the identification, preparation, appraisal, implementation, and completion stages (throughout project lifecycle) through the following:
- Provide E&S support to the Bank-funded projects and programmes, for both private and public sectors.
- Address social issues in various Bank operations during the identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision and project completion stages.
- Assist Borrowers/Clients for the finalization of the Terms of Reference (ToRs) for the preparation of Environmental and Social Assessment (ESA) documentation (SESA, ESIA, ESMF, ESMS, RAP, ES Audit, Hazard and Risk Assessment, etc.) to ensure compliance with the ISS.
- Review the ESA documentation submitted by the Borrowers/Clients as of the ISS and other Bank policies’ requirements.
- Draft the technical inputs of the E&S sections in Project Concept Notes (PCNs), Project Appraisal Reports (PARs), Project Completion Reports (PCRs) and any other project related report as required.
- Draft and/or ameliorate reporting templates for use in implementing and monitoring social aspects and components of projects and programs.
- Contribute to the preparation of management responses to reports issued by the Bank independent accountability mechanism, and similar report.
- Liaise with co-financiers to ensure consistency in the mainstreaming of environmental safeguard requirements.
Policy and Compliance with E&S Requirements:
- Participate in the formulation, review and/or revision of the Bank environmental and social safeguard policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Provide policy guidance to Bank teams on social safeguard issues to enhance their awareness and the capacity of the projects and programmes to comply with the ISS.
Capacity Building and Knowledge Management:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of capacity building and training programs for staff within the Bank and in RMCs.
- Participate in, contribute and represent the Bank in internal and external trainings and conferences on social safeguards and social development issues as well as other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
- Develop and/or contribute to the development of innovative knowledge products on social sustainability, social safeguards and/or the E&S performance of Bank-financed projects and programmes.
- Undertake any other task as the Director of the Environment and Social Safeguards and Compliance Department and/or the Regional Director-General.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Social Sciences (Sociology, Anthropology, Geography, Law, Economy, Project Management, etc.) or related discipline and additional training in environmental assessment.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience in Environmental and Social Assessment (ESA), namely in preparing and implementing the ESA instruments (SESA, ESIA, ESMF, ESMS, RAP, ES Audit, Hazard and Risk Assessment, lifecycle analysis, emergency response plans, etc.).
- Demonstrable knowledge and practice of the environmental and social safeguards policies/standards, procedures and practices of comparator Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) supporting the Regional Member Countries.
- Experience with international organizations or Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) in Africa is an advantage.
- Have a good knowledge and experience of project management and multi-criteria assessments, stakeholder engagement and consultation, community participation; have analytical skills to assess institutional capacity and to design / review practical arrangements for implementing complex projects’ E&S aspects, particularly in Africa.
- Be results-oriented, able to work in a team, a meticulous analyst with a sense of detail, a persuasive communicator and an excellent copywriter.
- Listening to clients – providing effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting past challenges and challenges and gaining respect through the depth of demonstrated expertise, effectively managing various clients and country situations.
- Innovation and Change – Constantly seek more efficient and practical methods for the delivery of services and products as well as departmental process management and propose new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment and to develop effective working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Have a good knowledge of the environmental and social issues facing Regional Member Countries (RMCs).
- Be able to communicate effectively (written and oral) in French or English, preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Master the use of MS Office software and have a good knowledge of SAP.
Application Closing Date
23rd October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- This position is classified as international and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.