Harnessing the scaling and replication potential of sustainable energy solutions in Africa: “2nd SESA Call for Entrepreneurs 2023”
Siemens Stiftung on behalf of the Smart Energy Solutions for Africa (SESA) consortium, invites local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) from Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda and Tanzania to apply for the “2nd SESA Call for Entrepreneurs 2023”. The call is looking for entrepreneurs with expertise in addressing the continent’s energy access challenges with a focus on rural and off-grid communities. Enterprises can apply for the call till 25th June 2023. Women-led businesses are particularly encouraged to apply.
The SESA project, funded by the European Commission is operative across nine African countries with local and international partners, testing and validating sustainable energy solutions and business models that are replicable and generate local opportunities for economic development.
This call focuses on selected technologies that have been tested by SESA partners and presents promising opportunities to scale up by local entrepreneurs in the four countries. Interested enterprises should be operational in domains such as solar irrigation technologies in rural communities, waste-to-energy solutions to improve clean cooking, and solar cold chain technologies for both peri-urban and rural communities among other related technical fields.
Applicants need to have been registered and operationally active in one of the four focus countries for at least three years with proof of revenue generation. Additionally, each country has a detailed list of eligible technology domains.
Applicants need to be registered and operationally active in one of the four focus countries for at least three years with proof of revenue generation. Additionally, each country has a detailed list of eligible technology domains.
Nigeria (Areas of Priority)
- Solar irrigation technologies for rural communities
- Waste-to-Energy Solutions (Biogas) to improve clean cooking as well as access to energy
Certain minimum criteria need to be met and only those applications which meet the below minimum criteria will be considered:
- Your enterprise must be registered and operationally active in Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda or Tanzania * ;
- Your enterprise must have officially been in operation for at least three years;
- Your enterprise must have generated revenues and provide financial statements including income statement and balance sheets for the last two years (2022 and 2021);
- There are no pending litigations against your enterprise or members of its management team;
- Proof of previously similar work done in country.
Women-led and women-owned businesses are particularly encouraged to apply.
*Please note: The SESA Call for Entrepreneurs 2023 will focus on SMEs operationally active in Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda and Tanzania as first priority. However, this does not preclude applications from SMEs registered and operative in other African countries as long as the technological requirements are met.
The call for entrepreneurs is open until the 25 June 2023
The proposal will be assessed through the following weighted criteria:
- Innovation & Impact (25%)
- Business Robustness & Market Potential (20%)
- Expertise & Excellence of the Team (20%)
- Implementation Plan & Value for Money (30%)
Required (Mandatory) Documents
Applications must include all the below-mentioned requirements and must be submitted electronically via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline of 25th of June 2023 – 23:59 CET (Brussels).
List of mandatory documents:
- Application Form
- Certificate of incorporation/association and registration certificate
- Financial statements for the last two years (including income statements and balance sheets for 2022 and 2021)
- Pictures and technical specifications of your product/service(s)
All SMEs selected will be invited to join the SESA Incubator Programme run by the SESA project partner Smart Innovation Norway. In a Kick-Off Meeting, after the selection, your company together with Smart Innovation Norway will evaluate the specific needs of your business and develop an individualised strategy to support you in one of four main topics:
- Business Planning & Monitoring
- Marketing & Sales
- Organisational Development & Financial Transparency
Each company will have a dedicated mentor (local and/or international, as per need) who shall provide regular support in the above-mentioned topics during a limited period. Additionally, technical and business expertise from SESA partners will also be offered to the companies on individual basis.