Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has confirmed that foreign identities are included on the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) paperwork of the mining company that is suspected of storing explosive devices that caused the Ibadan explosion. Makinde said this on Wednesday while making an appearance on Channel TV. The governor also stated that three people have perished as a result of the horrific explosion, with one more victim passing away today in a hospital.
- Remember that there are currently three fatalities and countless injuries from the explosion that happened on Tuesday, January 16, 2024, near Dejo Oyelese Street in the Bodija neighborhood of Ibadan.
- “The truth is that we have identified the company involved with the storage of explosive devices in that particular building.
- “We are trying to uncover the identities of the people. We’ve done a few fact-findings on the company involved, and yes, there are indeed some foreign names on the CAC documents of the company involved, but these are still early days.”
Reacting to the question of whether the blast was caused by a terrorist group or banditry, Makinde said that the blast was not caused by any terrorist group or bandits.
- “We have an individual of interest whom the security agencies should be inviting for questioning.
- “I repeat my position that anyone who has contributed to putting this tragedy upon us will bring them to book.
- “It is not anything that has to do with banditry or insurgency. It is simply illegal miners who decided to store explosives in residential areas,” he added.
What you should know
There were concerns about a large number of injuries after an explosion earlier on Tuesday in Ibadan, Oyo State. The property was damaged in the explosion that happened on Tuesday, January 16, at around 7:30 p.m. Governor Seyi Makinde then declared that 77 patients were being treated in public and private hospitals, and he verified that three lives had been lost.
Furthermore, the governor indicated that the incident was brought on by the actions of illegal miners in the city of Ibadan, although he did not identify any of the offenders.
In the meantime, President Bola Tinubu has directed that a comprehensive inquiry be conducted in order to determine the true cause of the explosion.