Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, gender, creed or political affiliation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Construction Supervisor
Location: Jahun, Jagawa
Employment Type: Full-time
- Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, gender, creed or political affiliation.
Accountabilities / Responsibilities (non-exhaustive list):
- Supervising and monitoring on a day-to-day basis the implementation of the building and rehabilitation activities in the project ensuring compliance of MSF standards, protocols and procedures.
This includes the following tasks:
- Analyzing, according to customer requirements and MSF programs, the needs for construction/rehabilitation works and reporting to the line manager accordingly, in order to provide the necessary information to find an appropriate and efficient solution, including planning of (financial, technical, material and human) resources that meet the mission needs
- Supervising and following up through regular visits the work of construction and/or rehabilitation in progress, in order to ensure deadlines, budget and technical specifications and to early detect potential deviations
- Negotiating agreements and permissions for construction/ rehabilitation projects, establishing regular contacts with local authorities, in order to ensure all required documentation is filled upon and to avoid delays
- Organizing and supervising call for tenders (architect office, company tendering) activities in order to ensure the best technical and financial conditions in collaboration with the MCR
- Supervising and leading the logistic team under his/her responsibility including the definition of each person’s tasks (daily supervision and checking the quality of their work); drawing up working schedule; organizing and leading team meetings
- Providing monthly activity reports and implementing reporting practices.
- Performing delegated tasks according to his her specialty and as specified in his/her job description
- Supervise the rehabilitation works of MSF building inside Jahun Hospital in Jigawa State
- Ensure a technical support for his area of activity and provides coaching to logistics staff under his/her responsibility.
- Supervise the contractors and/or daily workers during the construction.
- Ensure the good quality of the material used during the construction.
- Ensure that the security measures are respected on construction site (personal protective equipment, fencing
- Ensure the material delivery date according to the chronogram.
- Support and supervise the Construction Storekeeper.
- Forecast, manage and follow up orders done for the construction, based on stock data
- Ensure orders are correctly taken into account by the Purchasing Clerk.
- Responsible for tools and equipment provided during the construction.
- Keep working area clean and tidy.
- Ensure that line manager is informed of any problems that might be linked to the construction and to the existing MSF premises.
- Immediately inform the line manager of any problems that arise during the work, particularly with regard to damage, loss, theft or attempted break-ins.
- Understand the project in its wholeness; take into account also the electrical system, the water and sanitation.
- Follow and check the project chronogram.
- Control, supervise and ensure that the works are carried out according to the rehabilitation project.
- In conjunction with Construction Referent, negotiate with subcontractor on scope of work and pricing.
Required Skills And Conditions
- Essential, secondary education; desirable Engineering or construction diploma/education
- Essential 2 years of previous experience in similar jobs, MSF experience is an asset
- Essential, local language (Hausa) commandment desirable; mission working language (English)
- Computer literacy: Good command of Word, Excel and CAD software. Structural analysis software and MS Project command is an asset
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Commitment to MSF Participles
- Stress Management
- Ability to read and understand construction plans
- Knowledge of construction structural analysis
- Knowledge in Water and sanitation works
- Deep knowledge of local construction material market
- Deep knowledge of main Nigerian construction typologies
- Knowledge of different construction systems and materials (metal, clay brick and concrete in particular)
- Ability to accurately describe and assess the status of a construction project and be ready to provide possible solutions when necessary
- A positive attitude and willingness to encourage co-workers
- Ability to communicate with subcontractors, suppliers and clients
- MSF-F Jahun Project Jigawa State Nigeria.
- Local contract, (Fixed term contract of 6 months, subject to renewal with 1 month probation period) – 208 working hours per month and flexibility required
Gross Monthly Salary
N367,575 (Three hundred and sixty seven thousand, five hundred and seventy five naira)
Application Closing Date
13th November, 2020.
- Non-compliance or late Applications will not be considered
- Only successful applicants will be called for written test and interview
- Application is strictly via email and the subject of the email should be: Construction Supervisor
- This is a re-advertisement due to COVID 19 outbreak. Those who applied the first time are invited to apply again.
- MSF is an equal opportunity Organization, and as such Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism, will be tolerated in the recruitment process. MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring of a candidate having benefitted from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be pursued through the judicial system