Salient Humanitarian Organization (SHO) is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MEAL Officer (for NHF Project)
Location: (Maiduguri base) North-East Nigeria
Employment Type: Full-time
Starting Date: September, 2020
Duration of Contract: 6 Months (Extendable)
Reporting to: Project Coordinator
General Context of the Job/Project
- This position falls under the direct management of SALIENT’s CCCM Project Coordinator
- Under the direction of the MEAL Manager, the MEAL Officer will be responsible for supporting all MEAL related activities including, but not limited to: monitoring progress on project indicators, elaboration of M&E tools, conducting needs/market/post-activity assessments, beneficiary database management, recalibration of beneficiary targeting at project mid-point, development and implementation of accountability mechanism as well as a compilation of monthly, bi-monthly, and quarterly reports.
- The MEAL Officer will be based in Maiduguri with frequent trips to the project area and will report to the MEAL Manager as well as the Project Coordinator.
- Conduct regular on-site and post-distribution monitoring; post-activity monitoring and Focused Group Discussion to measure the project progress.
- Provide consistent, supportive supervision to strengthen staff performance as necessary to meet monitoring objectives.
- Conduct Market Price Monitoring in collaboration with the Programs.
- Provide timely analyzed data and report on the monitoring activities and feedback to the programs; and write reports.
- Support the team on the registration, commodity/card distribution and others activity through rigorous monitoring exercise.
- Conduct data validation and verification exercise as necessary.
- Maintain the Indicator Performance Tracking Table and feed the information to programs and MEAL team.
- Facilitate the training of enumerators in the activities such as rapid assessment, registration, survey, baseline/end-line etc.
- Elaborate, review, and test all M&E tools before the implementation.
- Establish the database or tracking sheets of project beneficiary and assistance provided and share the information timely with the programs.
- Support the establishment and management of a system to track beneficiary and non-beneficiary’s feedbacks and complaints management.
- Work closely with ICT department and MEAL Manager in tracking IT equipment associated with project use.
- Conduct regular analysis and action planning meetings to (1) compare data against project milestones, targets, and quality expectations across project sites; (2) identify issues requiring further attention; (3) define action needed and assign responsibility and deadlines.
- Identify, document, store and share lessons learned (this includes success story too) that have implications for refinement of best programmatic practice.
- Ensure ethical and safe collection and storage of data.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree, preferably in Statistics, Information Management, Management, Social Sciences or related fields.
- At least 3 years of experience in Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning, preferably in humanitarian or development context.
- Proven track record and experience in developing M&E plan, systems and database using MS office applications (Excel or Access) and software applications.
- Strong knowledge and proven experience on developing and analyzing logical and conceptual framework.
- Ability to train partners and staff on developing and maintaining the M&E system.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English.
- Communication skills in Hausa and Kanuri mandatory.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a diverse team and manage complex and sensitive organizational relationships.
- Demonstrable understanding of and commitment to promoting gender equity and the interests of vulnerable people.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to SALIENT€™s values and guiding principles.
- Ability to manage complex workloads and deliver work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to travel frequently and stay in difficult environments
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of Nigerian displacement context.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-playing skills.
- Highly flexible, with the ability to use initiative.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
- Proven professional experience working with NGO at a relevant position e.g enumerator, monitor, field and community worker.
- Experience working for NGOs and/ or in Camp setting is a must.
- Experience using Kobo, or other mobile data collection technology
- Experience Working in Northeast Nigeria is a Must
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Written and spoken fluency in English, Hausa or Kanuri a must; additional fluency in other local languages preferred
- Ability and Willingness to follow instructions.
- SHO reserve the right to close the application before the deadline, if the required number of candidates is attained.
- Candidates will be responsible for his/her own travel, accommodation and feeding during the recruitment process;
Application Closing Date
10th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should please submit their Application (Letter of motivation and CV in a single file) via E-mail to: [email protected] indicating the “Job position” as the subject of the e-mail.
Salient Humanitarian Organization,
Behind NTA Quarters, Off Damboa Road,
Old GRA, Maiduguri,
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than five pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- SHO considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- Please clearly indicate the “Job position” on the envelope.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- CVs will be reviewed on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants, SHO will only inform shortlisted candidates for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about SHO, please consult: www.salientho.org