The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Plumbing Maintenance Worker
Announcement Number: Abuja-2020-036
Series/Grade: LE – 12105
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-5
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency: For USEFM – FS is 07. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C:
- U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agencies
- The incumbent works in the Facility Management of the Embassy/Consulate.
- S/he carries out scheduled and unscheduled plumbing preventive maintenance and repair work on mission buildings and facilities including residential owned and leased properties.
- Job holder would repair, and install plumbing as needed to support a variety of systems including, but not limited to plumbing building and mechanical system, potable water treatment and storage, waste water treatment, fire sprinkler, swimming pool and landscape irrigation.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Secondary School is required and completion of vocational training from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level technicians with a concentration in plumbing principles and application is required.
- Experience: Minimum of 3 years of experience in the repair and maintenance of building plumbing and mechanical systems and utility treatment operations is required.
Job Knowledge: Competence in the following is required:
- Maintenance and repair of plumbing and mechanical systems, fixtures, water treatment, potable water and waste water treatment plant, swimming pools, fire sprinkler systems including sensors, alarms, building automation systems, hydronic systems, and water heaters.
- Minor component replacement of motors, valves, pumps, controls and recording instruments.
- Testing procedures in control devices to monitor, diagnose faults, determine current operating capacity to the design requirements, all in accordance with U.S. and host country regulations.
- Reading and working from engineering drawings, specifications and material list
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed
- Language: Limited knowledge (Reading/Writing/Speaking) of English language is required.
Skills and Abilities:
The following are required:
- Communication and interpersonal skills to answer queries from end-users.
- Ability to work as part of a team, work under pressure and a tight schedule.
- A flexible approach to work shifts and answer emergency calls at all hours.
- Must have a valid Nigeria driver’s license is required.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- NGN N3,451,020
- USD $30,113
Application Closing Date
19th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary school certificate
- Driver’s License
- Certificate or License
For EFMs, in addition to above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- For More Info: HR Section, 09-461-4000, [email protected]