African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Quality and Development Effectiveness Officer, SNOQ2
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093728
- The Senior Vice-Presidency (SVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group in order to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The Senior Vice-Presidency provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions.
- The Senior Vice-Presidency leads senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
The Hiring Department:
- Located within the SNVP Complex, the Operations Committee Secretariat and Quality Assurance Department works to continuously enhance the quality and timely delivery of Bank operations, The Department coordinates and supports the Bank’s global efforts towards sharpening the country focus, strategic selectivity and quality of the Bank’s operations.
- Within the Department, the Quality Assurance (QA) Division is an operational support unit of the African Development Bank (AfDB) that focuses on enhancing and mainstreaming the quality and results of the Bank’s strategies and operations.
- To this end, it is responsible for: (i) setting certain quality standards for the Bank’s interventions; (ii) strengthening tools and processes throughout operational cycles notably those relating to monitoring and results; and (iii) building staff capacities and facilitating operational knowledge dissemination.
- Within the Quality Assurance Division, the Principal Quality and Development Effectiveness Officer will be responsible for developing and integrating quality assurance and results tools into the project cycle of operations; strengthening the Bank’s overall reporting capacity and to report on its operational performance and development results; and enhancing the knowledge of operations staff through training.
- The Officer will work closely with sovereign and non-sovereign operations teams to ensure the division provides tailored support. In addition, the post holder will play a leading role in delivering training to support operations quality, including through delivery of the online learning program “Operations Academy”.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Manager, the Principal Quality and Development Effectiveness Officer will have the following duties:
- Quality and monitoring throughout the project cycle: sovereign operations. Support the quality at entry assessment of operations, including the readiness review approach used for sovereign operations, and use of results-based logical frameworks. Support application, compliance, quality assurance and continuous improvement of tools used to monitor and self-evaluate sovereign operations.
- Support enhanced quality and monitoring thought the project cycle: non-sovereign operations. Work with operations teams and the non-sovereign operations support department to enhance tools for quality at entry, supervision and completion for non-sovereign operations.
- Operations Academy. Lead delivery of a range of new online leaning courses, and continuous improvement of existing courses, in the context of the Bank’s “Operations Academy” program. The program covers both sovereign and non-sovereign operations. Support communication, promotion and continuous improvement of the Operations Academy program.
- Analytical and knowledge work. Contribute to the preparation of the analytical work and reports relating to both compliance and lesson-learning of quality assurance and monitoring tools, with the view to improve monitoring, results reporting and ultimately strengthen the effectiveness of the Bank’s development interventions.
- Staff learning and coaching. Facilitate workshops and learning events organized for operations staff, including staff members in-country and regional offices; provide training and mentoring of task managers especially for the mainstreaming of new tools;
- Helpdesk Management and quality clinics. Contribute to helpdesk management activities and provide supports in quality assurance clinics.
- Relationship management. Build and maintain effective working relationships with staff of regional and sector Departments, as well as other departments supporting operations, to ensure Bank-wide ownership/internalization of tools, and two-way learning.
- Miscellaneous. Undertake other duties as assigned by the Division Manager.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Economics, Statistics, Development or related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience on quality assurance and results and/or working directly in operations.
- Knowledge of quality assurance policies and operational processes, and of monitoring and results tools of the African Development Bank, other multilateral development banks or similar institution. Solid understanding of results-based approaches in an international development context.
- Solid experience in developing training materials for both online and in-person delivery, conducting training workshops, development of online courses.
- Experience in data management and analytics would be an asset.
- Customer-oriented, especially in the management of sensitive issues in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated innovation and creativity.
- Able to work independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and coordinate interdepartmental team efforts.
- Proven leadership and excellent communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and spoken) in English or French, preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Good command of standard applications of the Bank (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and PowerPoint) Experience with SAP, statistical tools and e-learning software such as Articulate would be an advantage.
Application Closing Date
23rd October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- This position is classified as international and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct [email protected](link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.