The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Project Assistant (Administration)
CFCV No.: SVN2020.057
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit : MHPSS
IOM Classification: G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall guidance of the Head of Sub-office and direct supervision of the MHPSS Programme Manager in Maiduguri, and in coordination with the Resource Management Officer in Maiduguri, the successful candidate will coordinate and monitor the Administrative and Financial components of the MHPSS programme in Maiduguri, in line with the expectations of IOM MHPSS’s donors on IOM’s requirements. In particular, he/she will carry out the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- In coordination with the MHPSS Program Manager in Maiduguri, monitor the administrative and financial resources of the MHPSS program in Maiduguri and other field locations in North-East Nigeria.
- Coordinate with operations staff as appropriate for grant activity implementation to ensure that procurement, finance, and logistics aspects of each activity are being implemented on-time and in accordance with the specifications and technical quality of proposed, ongoing and concluding MHPSS approved activities.
- Review purchase and payment requests within MHPSS activities, ensuring completeness of supporting documentation and consistency of values; and ensuring the requests are within the MHPSS budgets.
- In coordination with operations project assistants, conduct regular monitoring visits to verify consistency and transparency delivery of items included in the services provided by the program to beneficiaries across all field locations in the North-East Nigeria.
- Monitor budget control and analyse variances between the MHPSS budgets and the actual expenditures in line with resource management procedures.
- Coordinate closely with the procurement and logistics, finance, and Security teams in the application of standard guidelines and procedures aimed at ensuring appropriate, efficient, and transparent use of funds.
- Coordinate with the Monitoring and Evaluation / Reporting Officer and MHPSS project assistants to develop, monitor, evaluate (M&E) and recommend administrative and financial measures for MHPSS activities, including contractors and grantees.
- In coordination with other internal functional units of the mission, as well as the MHPSS Project Manager in Maiduguri, support the presentation of administrative and financial information to the donors.
- Plan, prepare and deliver training to MHPSS staff on the internal SOP of administration and finance and facilitate knowledge building and sharing of IOM’s policies and procedures.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree from an accredited institution in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or related fields with a minimum of four years of professional experience in financial management, accounting, and budgeting. master’s degree in above mentioned academic area an advantage or High School certificate in the fields mentioned above with six years of continuous working experience
- Proven experience in programmatic, administrative, and financial planning.
- Ability to adapt administrative and finance tools to work effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, and beneficiaries.
- Knowledge and experience in using finance and accounting systems
- Ability to apply institutional financial policies and guidelines.
- Able to advocate and incorporate financial considerations into processes and procedures.
- Understanding of international and donor accounting standards.
- Good analytical skills for financial data, strong sense of details and accuracy
- Understanding of UN/IOM’s policies and procedures is a strong asset.
- Solid understanding of MHPSS programming is an asset.
- Fluency in English and multiple Native languages
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies: – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators – Level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
Application Closing Date
2nd October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: [email protected] indicating Position applied on subject line by.
Important Information & Notice
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2020.057 Senior Project Assistant (Administration).
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Women are encouraged to apply