The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Special Adviser, Office of Honorable Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning
Additional Category: Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Nov-2021
Duration of Initial Contract: 12 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 12 Months
- This position is located in the Office of Honorable Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning. The incumbent will report to the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning and will be responsible for the provision of strategic policy advice in performance management and development partner cooperation.
- The Adviser will lead the technical team supporting the establishment and implementation of sustainable government-owned and driven international development aid management processes.
- The incumbent will also provide support in the areas of national results-based management and accountability relating to development partner cooperation; and to other areas as designated by the Honourable Minister.
- The overall objective of the Consultant is to support the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning through leadership in the provision of high-quality policy advice and support in the delivery of key sustainable government and development aid processes and programmes of the Ministry; and in performance management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Policy Advisory Service:
- Provide strategic policy advice in development partner cooperation
- Provide strategic policy advice directly to the Honorable Minister, in coordinating, overseeing and monitoring the effectiveness and performance of the Ministry.
- Coordinate strategic planning required to deliver on the implementation of INFF, Nigeria Regional Facility Development and other development aid processes of the ministry.
- Provide policy advice to strengthen systems and structures that support the development and implementation of a national pro-poor development framework and sound public financial management.
- Establish critical linkages with relevant Government agencies, Ministries and parastatals, and participate in policy-making processes to achieve progress in identified projects of the Ministry.
- Initiate periodic policy reviews in close consultation with relevant Ministries, agencies, and parastatals to provide advice on the effectiveness and efficacy of policies.
- Facilitate the translation of policy intent and Ministerial decisions in the identified areas into viable tasks, and projects to ensure their effective and timely implementation.
- Ensure that advice and information on cross-cutting issues is coordinated with all relevant Ministries, Agencies and parastatals and UN country team prior to submission of strategic advice.
- Draw upon other country experiences, lessons learned and knowledge networks, to provide contributions towards effective policy -making.
Monitoring and Implementation:
- Monitor progress on development partner cooperation and performance management in the delivery of key development aid management processes and brief the Honorable Minister accordingly.
- Ensure proper conduct of processes and provide strategic advice to facilitate the implementation of INFF, Nigeria Regional Facility Development and other development aid processes of the Ministry.
- Provide technical advice on strategy and risk-management in development aid management processes.
- Support the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning Office in its engagement with relevant stakeholders toward the coordination of national strategic policy development and implementation.
- Support the Minister of Finance in other areas of national and ministry results-based management and accountability, as necessary.
Liaison and Government Relations:
- Liaise with international partners and multi-lateral financial institutions, including the UN Country Team on the priorities of new and ongoing development aid projects in close coordination and consultation with other relevant actors in Government to advance objectives of these priorities.
- Liaise with other arms of government, Ministries, Agencies and Parastatals in close coordination with other principal leads at the Ministry to ensure seamless coordination of work-flow processes between the different government entities and provide advice to fast-track the achievement of results-based management and accountability.
- Participate in meetings as directed by the Honorable Minister and provide feedback to facilitate progress in the implementation of critical development aid projects and initiatives.
Strengthening Strategic Partnerships and Alliances
- Support the Honorable Minister to engage with State Ministries, national level institutions and civil society;
- Support the Honorable Minister to engage, create and coordinate partnerships with bilateral and multilateral donors, UN Agencies, and International Financial Institutions;
- Ensure appropriate linkages are made by the Honorable Minister to draw upon other country experiences, lessons leant and knowledge sharing to strengthen implementation of the mandate of the Ministry.
- Represent the Honorable Minister in high-level meetings, discussions and negotiations on the establishment and implementation of sustainable government-owned and driven international development aid management processes
- Supervise draft budget memos, reports, assessments and analysis as may be required.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Ability to work with a multi-cultural and diverse team
- Ability to produce high quality work under pressure of tight schedules and timelines
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in one of the following disciplines: International Relations, Finance, Political Science, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Public Administration, Management, Law and Related Specialization in International Development and Planning.
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible experience in such areas as: International Organizations, Government, Political, Social, Civil, or Legal Affairs; Public or Business Administration; or Management is required;
- A proven track record of leadership and management in multicultural settings, including coordination of interdisciplinary teams, is required;
- Experience in a senior managerial capacity, providing clear advice on complex organizational or bureaucratic issues to inform the decision making of high-level leadership is required;
- Experience in leading the implementation of strategic development frameworks, multi-donor development funds, stakeholder relationship management, inter-agency coordination and knowledge and familiarity in engagements with Governments and international partners are desirable.
- Advanced professional career in development planning and international relations at a senior level is preferred.
- Work experience with senior level government officials at the national or international level providing management and technical advisory services in international development, national planning and policy within a central finance and planning Ministry.
- Experience relevant to designing and implementing public sector financial assessments that improve government ministries’ budgetary effectiveness, transparency, and accountability is desirable.
- Experience with budgetary policies and practices, financial regulations and rules and with financial systems of enterprise resource planning (ERP) is required and Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS) knowledge is also required.
- Ability to proactively seek and recommend sound policy initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer skills and knowledge to others.
- Good communication, negotiation and diplomatic skills.
- Demonstrated ability to: provide advice in a broad range of strategic, policy, management and development issues to Governments, international organizations, and in other high-level leadership settings; lead integrated processes, and, ensuring the timely delivery of a programme of work.
- Track record of providing leadership in project monitoring and implementation, problem-solving and continuous organizational improvement for effective programme delivery.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments;
- Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards, operates in compliance with organizational rules and regulations, supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of work unit, where applicable.
- Judgement / Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision;
- Considers positive and negative impact on others and on the Organization;
- Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information;
- Checks assumptions against facts; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision;
- Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills;
- Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
Application Closing Date
16th October, 2020 (Midnight New York, USA).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online