Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Supply Chain Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno with support to Yobe and Adamawa States
Supervised by: Head of Support Services
Reporting to: Head of Support Services
Start Date: ASAP
Type of Contract: Expatriate
- The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future.
- We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle.
- In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions.
- We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC), and its Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding technical unit – the Danish Demining Group (DDG), has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015. DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally.
- Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria.
- DRC is looking for a driven, pro-active Supply Chain Manager who will be responsible for the overall country logistics and procurement operation in coordination with procurement and logistics staff in the field offices; providing support to DRC field operations and field-based staff in training, guidance and standard operating procedures as set by the DRC.
- The incumbent must possess broad knowledge in the procurement and logistics processes, people’s management, finance, vehicles, inventories and monitoring of assets and activities
- He/She plays a key role in implementation of the Supply Chain Module of DRC Dynamics through tailor-made training, mentoring, coaching, monitoring, and controlling correct usage of the module
- He/She supervises the logistics and procurement unit and provides technical support to area offices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the effective implementation of logistics/procurement systems and functions within geographical area of responsibility with a particular focus on compliance to the Operations Handbook
- Support logistics/procurement staff and functions in all DRC offices
- Lead and manage the Logistics and procurement team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development).
- Manage the entire process in the planning of procurement and supply chain activities ensuring cost and time efficient delivery of services in compliance with DRC and Donors regulations.
- Collaborate with Program staff, Area Managers and Supply Chain teams in field for proper procurement planning in project design and implementation stages. Ensure that procurement plans are prepared, monitored and updated at Country and field office levels
- Conduct regular visits to each procurement office to assess and support compliance and implementation of Operation Handbook volume on Procurement Management (including all updated policies on DRC intranet) across all field offices
- Review ITB (Restricted, National and International) documentation before advertising or inviting suppliers
- Provide remote support in ITB management (TOC report, technical analysis and contract award)
- Provide support to field sites to manage the tendering process (TOC report, technical analysis and contract award).
- Compile monthly reports received from field offices to provide country procurement reports to relevant managers
- Organize procurement trainings for non-logistics staff and small-scale refresher trainings (if/when needed) for procurement staff.
- Plan and organize regular logistics training with relevant participants (logistics, program, Human Resources and finance) to ensure agreed and uniform systems to be implemented
- Ensure implementation of CAST/audit recommendations relating to logistics/procurement
- Ensure all procurement documents are properly stored and archived to provide an appropriate audit trail for any internal and external audits.
- Conduct market surveys in key categories to ensure that DRC is receiving best value for money.
- Verify the Self-compliance checks for all FO’s are verified prior submission.
- Ensure compliance and implementation of Operations Handbook across all field offices
- Provide monthly comprehensive country reports on fleet management (costs) to SMT
- Advise on Fleet utilization and right sizing of fleet requirements as per program needs
- Ensure compliance and implementation of Operations Handbook across all field offices.
- Provide monthly comprehensive country reports on Inventory/Assets to SMT
- Implement any available tools to improve the inventory management
- Provide guidance in disposal methods for unused or expired Asset with prior Donor/DRC Country director approval
- Ensure compliance and implementation of Operations Handbook across all field offices.
- Provide monthly comprehensive country report on warehouse inventory to SMT (list and stock value in hand)
- Provide guidance in disposal methods for unused or expired commodities with prior donor/DRC Country Director approval
DRC Dynamics ERP System:
- Ensure proper application of ERP supply chain processes in the region
- Apply reports and data analytics from ERP supply chain system to improve supply chain performance
- Accountable to ensure that all Supply Chain activities are conducted in accordance with the DRC’s Operations Handbook
- Responsible to ensure that recommendations for improvements related to the Supply Chain Components (e.g., from audits) are implemented in a timely manner
- Responsible to ensure that all allegations of breaches of the Code of Conduct by staff in the Supply Chain teams of Iraq are reported and with the support of the Head of Support Services and Security Focal Point, investigated and concluded swiftly.
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 3 employees. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in humanitarian logistics management within the field of supply chain management, fleet management, asset management, and distribution support
- At least 3 years’ experience with people management
- However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot employ, under an expatriate contract, a citizen of the country in which she/ he is going to be stationed (in such case, the Republic of Nigeria).
Required Skills & Qualities:
- Knowledge and experience of dealing with service providers and contractors’ management
- Excellent computer skills in MS Word & Excel, as well as experience working with an ERP system
- Experience with standard procurement procedures and documentation.
- Experience with construction and site project management
- Experience with auto mechanics or electrical installations
- Experience working in an (I)NGO
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Competence in providing technical guidance and training
- Working experience with relevant donors (e.g., UNHCR, ECHO, OFDA, WFP, DFID or BPRM guidelines)
- Ability to prepare basic training modules on accounting management and conduct on the job trainings.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel.
Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity.
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Application Closing Date
24th December, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All applicants must send a Cover Letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
- DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
- Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above date.