The Federal University, Otuoke is a federal government-owned University located in Otuoke, a town in Ogbia local government area of Bayelsa State, Southern Nigeria. The University was established in 2011 and started with 282 pioneer students. It offers degree courses at undergraduate levels.
Job Title: Vice Chancellor
The post of the Vice Chancellor of the Federal University Otuoke, Nigeria, will become vacant soon. In accordance with the provisions of the Federal University Otuoke (Establishment) Act 2015; Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 1993, (Amendment) Act 2003 and Act 2012, the Governing Council of the Federal University wishes to commence the process of filling the vacancy. Interested candidates are requested to note the following information about post.
- The Vice Chancellor is the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University, Chairman of the Senate and Member of the Governing Council of the University among others. Consequently, the Vice Chancellor is required to:
- Be competent at all times to advise the Council on any matter affecting the policy, finances, and administration of the University;
- Be generally responsible to the Council for maintaining the efficiency and good order of the University and for ensuring the proper enforcement of Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations;
- Be responsible for discipline in the University; and
- Regulate the admission of students in accordance with the guidelines and procedures approved by the Senate of the University.
- The Candidate for the post of Vice Chancellor is required to possess a good University degree including a PhD with professional fellowships and should be a proven manager of human and material resources.
Specifically, the candidate shall be expected to:
- Be a highly distinguished scholar of the rank of Professor, with a minimum of five (5) years experience on that level and demonstrate ability to provide academic and administrative leadership;
- Be a person of proven integrity;
- Command the respect of the national and international academic communities through his / her track record;
- Be a person who is Information and Communication Technology (ICT) proficient, committed to the mainstreaming of ICT into University wide programmes and activities;
- Strengthen the bridges between staff, students and other members of the University community;
- Have a good understanding of the vision and mission of the University of its pursuit of academics;
- Enjoy good health
- Be not more than 65 years old as at the date of possible assumption of duty
Terms and Conditions of Service
- The Vice Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of Five(5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment,
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice Chancellor in all Nigerian Federal Universities and as may be determined from time to time by the Government / Governing Council as appropriate.
Application Closing Date
16th October, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit Applications and Curriculum Vitae duly signed and dated in 25 copies. The curriculum vitae must contain the Candidate’s name in full, Basic bio-data, Brief on educational / professional and leadership attainment (maximum of 400 words), Key higher-level academic appointments with stated achievements, Post graduate supervisions, External post graduate examinations undertaken (for the past five year), Scholarly publications, Key international / national / public services undertaken.
Each application should include the names and addresses of three referees. Each referee should be contacted by the applicant to forward direct to the “Registrar and Secretary to Council”, a confidential report in a properly sealed envelope marked:
Post of Vice-Chancellor; Referee’s Report” as the top left-hand corner of the envelope.
Each application must be accompanied by 25 copies of statement of the candidates’ Vision for the University in the twenty-first century (maximum of 500 words).
In the case of candidates identified by the Search Team, the application shall conform to the requirements above, in addition to a letter of consent duly signed by the candidate.
All applications shall be submitted under confidential cover and addressed to:
Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Federal University Otuoke,
Bayelsa State, Nigeria. The sealed envelope(s) containing the applications should be marked “Post of Vice-Chancellor” at the top left-hand corner and forwarded to reach the Registrar on or before the above-stated closing date.