The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Project Manager
Webcruiter ID: 4265638812
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: The Area Manager
- NRC is looking for a WaSH Project Manager for our area office in Maiduguri in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the WaSH Project Manager position is to implement delegated Area Office WaSH project portfolio.
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja.
- NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Document project achievements and deliverables and document lessons learned and best practices and integrate into Project activities as appropriate to support coordination and learning efforts.
- Oversee and ensure that procurement is completed, documented, and delivered to end-user in a timely manner, ensuring that items procured meet specifications of the end-user while adhering to donor and NRC’s procurement guidelines.
- Ensure the quality and accuracy of the Bill of Quantities and Contracts, Cost estimates, and any other project-related documentation needed for procurement.
- Project Management and Implementation: Provide leadership and management of all aspects of WASH project design, planning, implementation, quality ad accountability.
- Build the capacity of all the WASH team members with special focus to more senior positions, in project management
- Integrate community approaches, gender, and disablement sensitivity, Do No Harm/protection mainstreaming, environmental sensitivity, and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Establish, manage, and coordinate work plans for all project activities, including making adjustments in response to any changes in the security situation in close coordination with the Area Manager AO North, WASH CCS.
- Manage the WASH project budgets, including approval of appropriate Project expenses (within approval limit), tracking of project spending and financial obligations, verification of monthly budget-vs-actual reports, estimation of projected spending, and submission of monthly cash forecasts.
- Support in the evaluation and assessments of WASH Project activities, to ensure that accurate and timely information is available.
- Conduct regular field visits to all project sites in order to ensure that WASH Projects are adapted to local needs, provide quality control assurance, and provide regular internal and external reports on Project status, as required.
- Coordination and Representation: Develop and maintain working relationships and coordinate with relevant international and local agencies active in the WASH working group and related coordination platforms at the area level.
- University Degree in Engineering or any related field
- Minimum 3 years of experience from a senior level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context (at Coordinator level)
- BSc. in Civil Engineering/Public Health/ Geology/ Water Resources or any Wash related project field
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Technical WASH expertise: Engineering or Public Health Related
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
We Can Offer
- Commencement: August 2020
- Duration: 5 months (Renewable)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Level: Grade 8 in the NRC grade structure
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- An approved health certificate will be requested before the contract start.
Application Closing Date
3rd August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Nigeria Nationals only.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.