The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE) Program Manager
Requisition ID: req11026
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Sector: Women Protection & Empowerment
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014, the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict-affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri, Gwoza and Monguno of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods and governance.
Job Overview / Summary
- Gender-based violence (GBV) is a serious human rights and public health issue affecting women and girls around the world. It impacts all aspects of women and girl’s physical, emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It has harmful consequences for the individuals who experience it, their families, and communities.
- The WPE programming in NE Nigeria covers Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States. The WPE program Manager in Borno leads design, implementation, and monitoring of WPE projects in Borno State and reports to the WPE Coordinator.
- The WPE Manager will provide technical oversight to prevention and response staff in Borno State in the area of protection and empowerment of women and girls (and the effects of the conflict on women and girls in general), with an emphasis on coaching staff to build their capacity, advocating for improved services for women and girls, and ensuring quality response to reach women and girls in conflict affected areas.
Program Management, Technical Quality, and Strategy:
- Provide ongoing leadership, training, and guidance to Borno staff to ensure programming meets best minimum standards and prioritizes the security of beneficiaries and staff.
- Support the team to conduct safety audits and take the lead communicating with other stakeholders to ensure all services mitigate the risk of GBV and are in line with IASC GBV Guidelines
- Design and lead assessments in Borno to ensure the voices of women and girls inform WPE program design
- Lead the development of coordination and referral mechanisms to ensure GBV survivors can access health care in a timely manner
- Promote and teach good practice regarding rapid WPE case management and psychosocial support
- Develop protocols on information management in insecure environments
- Support the WPE team to develop awareness-raising messages to promote uptake of GBV response services in a timely manner
- Support the WPE team to ensure sustained programming
- Promote coordination with the other sectors within the IRC
- Design and lead on rapid responses in newly opened LGAs
- Liaise with the IRC Health Manager to help provide support in terms of health services to GBV Survivors.
- Lead the development of proposals for Borno State to ensure consistent funding, with technical support from the WPE Coordinator and Senior Technical Advisor
- Review monthly BvAs and submit monthly BvA corrections
- Prepare and keep updated budget spent out plans to maintain program expenditure within budget.
Staff Performance Management, Learning & Development:
- Collaborate with the WPE Coordinator to implement the staff training plan for WPE Team members.
- Oversee and when necessary conduct trainings for community and service providers.
- Collaborate with the Health Sector to organize Clinical Care of Sexual Assault Survivors training for health staff, as needed.
- Collaborate with the other IRC Program Managers to maintain an on-going training program to ensure WPE is integrated into health, child protection, ProL, ERD, Education and vice versa.
- Oversee administrative aspects of the program including, but not limited to, writing job descriptions, interviewing, and hiring staff, developing staff performance objectives and conducting timely performance appraisals.
- Ensure the staff follows IRC global financial procedures and meeting donor requirements.
- Other duties as required.
Research, Learning and Analysis:
- Lead the development and oversee implementation of strong monitoring and evaluation systems
- Lead the preparation of reports to the Women Protection and Empowerment Coordinator and donors.
- Provide trend analysis on areas where WPE is implementing in order to improve services and advocacy for women and girls.
- Liaise with other teams on best practices and assist each other with information sharing.
Coordination & Representation:
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders – including community leaders, Camp chairpersons, National Emergency Management Agency, State Emergency Management Agency) NGOs, UN agencies, Local Partners and other IRC sectors to enhance multi-agency and multi-sectoral cooperation and coordination.
- Ensure that information from coordination meetings is shared, as appropriate.
- Advocate for women and girls, with feedback from women and girls, in external meetings
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: WPE Program Coordinator
- Indirect/Technical Reporting: Senior Program Coordinator and Senior Technical Advisor
- Position directly Supervises: WPE Officers in Adamawa
Key Internal Contacts:
- Country Program:
Key External Contacts:
- GBV Subcluster
- Ministry of women affairs.
- Must have a University Degree in public health, social work, or social science, with significant relevant work experience in conflict-affected areas.
- 3 years GBV program management experience, preferably in insecure locations,
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Excellent GBV case management skills and have provided direct case management to survivors of GBV,
- Experience in managing a GBV emergency response team using rapid case management,
- Experience using and good knowledge of the GBVIMS.
- Good interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Thorough understanding of feminist theory and survivor-centred programming
- Ability to live and work under pressure in an unstable security environment.
- Knowledge and experience of participatory planning methods
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in grant management and proposal writing is preferred
- Fluency in English and other languages desirable.
Computer / Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to Travel: 50% of time if applicable
Standards of Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online