FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
EBONYI STATE MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT
NIGERIA EROSION AND WATERSHED MANAGEMENT PROJECT (NEWMAP)
PROJECT ID: P124905
CONSULTANCY SERVICES FOR THE PRODUCTION OF A VIDEO/PHOTO DOCUMENTARY ON THE NEWMAP ACTIVITIES IN EBONYI STATE (EB-NEWMAP)
REF NO: EBNEWMAP/CS/CQS/19/02
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
This request for the expression of interest follows the update of the general procurement notice for this project that appeared in UN Development Business issue of 27th April, 2012 and in Nigerian Newspapers of 27th September, 2012.
As part of Governments commitment to the transformation of the Nigerian environmental and socio-economy landscape, a multi-sector project is being executed in Nigeria to mitigate the vulnerability to erosion and support the people as they relate to their land. The Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP) is an 8-year multi-sectoral and multi-scale program that targets states with acute gully erosion; and aims to rehabilitate degraded lands and reduce longer-term erosion vulnerability in targeted areas. The NEWMAP is designed to achieve greater environmental and economic security in Nigeria by enhancing resilience to soil erosion and associated challenges of land degradation, loss of biodiversity, poverty, climate change, and disaster risks in specific sub-watersheds. The project is involving many Federal and State Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), Local Governments, communities and civil Societies who are responsible for planning, economy, finance, works, agriculture, water resources, forests, transport, power, emergency response as well as those focused on climate and hydrological information or watershed/basin regulation. In order to achieve this, the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) has received a credit of US$500 million from the International Development Association (IDA) towards the cost for the implementation of the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP).
Ebonyi State which is one of the 19 states participating in the implementation of the project, intends to use part of the proceeds of the credit for the recruitment of a competent consulting firm for the Production of a photo/video documentary on the project in the state.
B. THE OBJECTIVE/SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The consultancy aims to produce media material including a short video and high resolution photographs on the activities of Ebonyi State NEWMAP which can be used in various communications platforms. Accordingly, the exercise will, as part of its core assignment, capture and document the project sites in their natural conditions before the intervention so as to be able to compare them with the after-intervention situations. Coverage will also be required for project sites where intervention works have already been completed. All these will help to appreciate visually the current gully/flood situations, the realities of the challenge and the systematic positive changes that have been brought to bear on the intervention areas by the project.
The specific aim is to reinforce NEWMAP’s approach; key messages and call-to- action, including:
• Inform communities /beneficiaries and governments at all levels, causal factors of the present situation; need to support environmental best practices and the adverse effects of inactions
• Inform and influence other local and international development organization to learn from NEWMAP’s gully remediation model in order to amplify its efforts
• Share what works, challenges and lessons learnt in tackling gully erosion in Nigeria
• Demonstrate how the institutional arrangements and partnerships have generated long term benefits to NEWMAP’s project beneficiaries.
The exercise shall cover the following sites:
• Nguzu Edda (Afikpo South Local Government Headquarters) Gully Site
• Iyi-Udele Flood Site
• Iyi-Okwu/International Market Flood Site
• Odunukwe-Nkaliki-Hatchery Road Flood Site
• Ebia River, Egu-Ugwu Agbaja Flood Site
• Old Waterworks Flood Site
• Asu-Umunaga Flood Site
• Oferekpe-Akahufu-Odomowo Flood Site
C. TIME FRAME
The assignment shall be completed within Eight (8) weeks from the date of signing the contract.
D. EXPECTED OUTPUT/DELIVERABLES
• Provide at-least 50 high quality and high-resolution pictures of Ebonyi State NEWMAP activities/beneficiaries with name of subject in picture, brief description of activity, location, and the date picture is captured. The photograph should include aerial view of the intervention corridors prior to the intervention activities
• Produce a complete 30- and 15-minute high resolution and high-quality documentary film versions of the pre-and post-project activities, the on-going activities and the expected results after the intervention and hand over 2 master copies of each version to EBS-NEWMAP and two extra copies with the extra footage for future usage.
• Submit RAW recordings in DV or DVD format
• Host the Documentary at least twice, in one national television and once a week for ten weeks in the state television
• Host the documentary for 1 month in the three electronic billboards in Abakaliki Capital city.
The Ebonyi State NEWMAP now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The shortlisting criteria are:
(a) General Experience of consulting firm – a minimum of 4years relevant experience in the field of communication film documentary production.
(b) Adequacy for the assignment:
(i) Consultants’ Educational and Professional Qualifications in the field of Assignment. Relevant experience in audio-visual recording, editing and media production.
(ii) A crew with at least four (4) years’ experience. Technical hands must be industry-specific specialists/consultants and subject-matter experts in film making and demonstrate the following: (i) Analytical Skills (ii) Deep knowledge in script writing and film making (iii) Excellent communication skills and (iv) IT proficient skills.
(iii) Familiarity with branding compliance and other marketing guidelines.
(c) Evidence of Similar Assignment:
(i) Demonstrated ability to create content that is persuasive, dear, concise and able to convey and present technical ideas/knowledge in an engaging manner for varied audience.
(ii) Demonstrated ability to create content for sustainable development or other relevant areas for a variety of audiences and for a wide range of media platforms (provide links to profiles as examples).
(iii) Experience in handling press/media events
(iv) Experience of working with international organizations and donors;
(d) Quality of the proposal (demonstrated understanding of objectives, competencies and coherence of response: methodology, work plan and timing, operational and management, deliverables).
All submissions must be evidence-proof.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants /under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and Grants) by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011 and revised July 2014) (“Consultant Guidelines’), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. In addition, please refer to the following specific information on conflict of interest related to this assignment: (as per paragraph 1.9 of Consultant Guidelines).
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Consultant Qualification Selection (CQS) method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours (09:00am to 5:00pm).
Expression of Interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) by 23 May, 2019.
Ebonyi State Project Management Unit (SPMU)
Ebonyi State Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (EBS- NEWMAP),
Attention: Dr. Philip U. Echiegu
No 1 Onwe Road, Abakaliki,
Ebonyi State, Nigeria