INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR MIGRATION – IOM NIGERIA
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
PRIVATE SECTOR PARTNERSHIP IN RUNNING AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS PROCESSING FACTORIES IN EDO STATE UNDER THE EUTF-COMMUNITY BASED REINTEGRATION
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Assisted voluntary return and reintegration (AVRR) is a key strategy in ensuring the humane and orderly movement of migrants. It is an indispensable component of a migration management approach which is intended to be mutually beneficial to migrants, governments and other sectors of society affected by migration. IOM implements the AVRR which has well-tailored reintegration measures supporting the socio-economic reintegration of returnees in their countries of origin.
As part of the regional Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration financed by the European Union Trust Fund, IOM, in close collaboration with the Government of Nigeria, is implementing actions to ensure the sustainable reintegration of returning Nigerian migrants.
The project provides Community-Based Reintegration (CBR) support which aims at involving returning migrants in income-generating activities with their home communities to promote inclusive local development while also reducing the socioeconomic challenges in the areas and the impact of return migration on the prioritized receiving communities. In this regard, IOM has, at this stage, identified six communities who are highly affected by irregular migration in Edo state to implement community-based projects in line with the community/returnees’ interest and ecological setting.
To this end, IOM is in the process of setting-up identified sustainable projects, such as
agro-processing factories for fruits, palm oil, and cassava products to create employment opportunities for returned migrants and unemployed youths in these communities, while also addressing challenges that those source communities are facing.
The main objective of this engagement is to promote partnership between the private sector and the returnee cooperatives for the smooth launching and running of the agro-processing facilities being established under the community-based reintegration component of the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Nigeria.
Agricultural produce available in abundance in the select communities are Pineapple, Cassava and Palm-kernel. Farmers in these communities are not getting enough value from this produce because of wastage as left-over produce from sales are left to rot. As a result, agro-processing factories for fruits, palm-oil, and cassava products are being set-up in various communities in Edo State to harness these abundant resources and support the value chain creation for available raw materials in these localities as well as the products while simultaneously creating work opportunities for returnees and unemployed youths. With availability and proximity to raw materials and handiness of ready labour, the key groundwork/startup items for the factory have been established and are ready for next phase of initiation.
PROPOSED PROJECTS AND LOCATIONS
|State||LGA||Agro Processing Factory|
|Edo||Esan North East||Cassava|
|Edo||Esan West (Epkoma)||Cassava|
|Edo||Ovia south West||Pineapple|
This project has taken an approach of engaging private firms, which has the required funds, management and technical industry-specific expertise to support the operations and running of these factories. To this end, IOM is seeking private firms with the relevant pedigree, preferably in agriculture processing and value chain, who will be managing these projects.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary role and responsibility of the private partnership is to provide the technical expertise, management and financial resources to support with running the operations of the various processing factories set-up under the EUTF community-based reintegration.
- Provide required finance to cover running cost of the factory.
- Leadership of the management of the factories;
- Huge potential for value- chain network;
- Leverage on government pro-sectorial policies, boosting performance;
- Possibility of managing other similar projects;
- Contribute to the curbing of the negative effects of irregular migration as part of CSR support;
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
The criteria for selecting the firm, among others, are:
- Must operate in Nigeria with preference given to those who are within/near the following States: Edo Delta, Lagos, Abuja.
- Must be registered and certified by the Corporate Affairs Commission;
- Must have been in operation for at least three (3) years;
- Must be a business development service provider;
- Evidence of consistent and sustained good financial performance;
- Management Team composition with a proven track record;
- Proven understanding of the Nigerian business environment and labor market structure;
- Experience in operating in agro-processing factories;
- Evidence of the existence of a proper governance structure;
- Evidence of the availability of adequate resources (human and financial) and capacity to manage this business;
- Evidence of consistent regulatory compliance;
- Confirmed interest in working on community projects and with returned migrants;
- Expertise on agriculture and agricultural related production;
- In-depth knowledge of the agricultural value chain;
- Organizational structure/systems setup;
- People management skills;
- Community relations skills;
- Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE);
- Supply Chain Management (SCM) abilities;
- Branding and Marketing;
- Risk management;
- Project development and management skills;
METHOD OF APPLICATION
IOM invites experienced and interested private firms to submit an expression of interest along with a cover letter in support of their application addressed to IOM Lagos via email IOMLagosTender@iom.int OR via hard copy to IOM Lagos Office at No.1 Isaac John Street, Ikeja GRA, Lagos, Nigeria before 4th September 2019.
Each submission must include:
- Organizational profile and structure, including CVs and description of expertise involved in the running or management of the factory;
- Recently audited financial reports for 3 consecutive years;
- Projects (past and current) with short descriptions;
Please note that only short-listed organizations will be contacted.