REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (REOI)
CONSULTANCY SERVICES-FIRM SELECTION
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
RURAL ACCESS AND AGRICULTURAL MARKETING PROJECT (RAAMP)
PROJECT ID: P163353
CONSULTANCY SERVICES FOR THE PREPARATION OF ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT (ESIA) AND AGRICULTURAL MARKETING PROJECT (RAAMP) IN KWARA STATE
REFERENCE NO: IDA/KW/RAAMP/WB/05
The Federal Government of Nigeria, through the Federal Ministry of Finance has applied for financing from the International Development Association (IDA) -The World Bank and French Development Agency (AFD) and on-lent the financing to 13 prospective state towards the cost of rehabilitation of prioritized rural roads and river crossing, Construction/rehabilitation support for the establishment of agro logistics hubs and institution/development under the Rural Access and Agricultural Marketing Project (RAAMP). It is intended that part of the proceeds of the financing will be will be applied to eligible payments under the contract for Consulting Services for the preparation of Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) and Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) under the proposed Rural Access and Agricultural Marketing Project (RAAMP) in Kwara State.
The scope of the consulting services (“the Services’) includes but not limited to;
THE PREPARATION OF ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT STUDY (ESIA);
The objective is to assess the potential environmental and social risk and impact of the proposed civil works and prepare an Environment and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) that will include a detailed Environment and Social Management Plan (ESMP), in
• Review the existing ESMP prepared for the RAAMP and Environmental Safeguards policies of the World Bank safeguards policies triggered on the project;
• Describe the proposed project by providing a synthetic description of the project relevant components and presenting plans, schematics, maps, figures and tables of the project area of influence
• Identify the policy, Legal and administrative framework relevant to the project.
• Describe and evaluate the current environmental and social situation;
• Assess the potential environmental and social risks and impacts of the proposed works and prepare an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) that will include a detailed Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP). The ESIA will outline the main procedures and responsibilities to manage environmental and social risks and impacts associated with the implementation of civil works. The study will be carried out to establish modalities of implementing the projects in line with Nigeria environmental and social policies and laws and the World Bank Safeguard policies.
• Identify key uncertainties and risks: Identify and communicate any key uncertainties and risks associated with the accuracy of the findings of the social assessment, as well as of the proposed project. Some sources of uncertainty and risk commonly associated with projects are linked to: (a) Lack of adequate information at the community level, (b) Creation of employment and business opportunities for members from the local, historically disadvantaged communities; (c) The influx of job seekers and construction workers to the area and the impact on services, etc
• Assess the impact of the construction on individuals and groups whose livelihoods are tied to the route/road (motor cycle taxi and tricycle operators etc.). As part of consultations, the ESIA should identify the potential negative impact on the livelihoods of these individuals and groups and propose appropriate mitigation measures
THE PREPARATION OF RESETTLEMENT ACTION PLAN (RAP);
• Identification of the: (i) components or activities that require resettlement restriction of access, (ii) zone of impact of components or activities; (iii) alternatives considered to avoid or minimize resettlement or restricted access; and (iv) mechanisms established to minimize resettlement, displacement, and restricted access, to the extent possible, during project implementation.
• Socio-economic studies the findings socio-economic studies to be conducted with the involvement of potentially affected people will be needed. These will require a general of the PAPs. The analysis of the legal and institutional framework in Nigeria that will cover existing land and property laws governing resources, including state owned lands, Applicable legal and administrative procedures, including description of the grievance procedures and remedies available to PAPs in the judicial process and the execution of these procedures, including any available alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, Relevant law (including customary and traditional law governing land tenure, valuation of assets and losses, compensation etc related to displacement and resettlement and Gaps, if any, between local laws covering resettlement and the Bank’s resettlement policy, and the mechanisms for addressing such gaps.
• Prepare an Implementation Schedule Covering all RAP activities from preparation, Implementation, and monitoring and evaluation with detailed (itemized) cost estimates for all RAP activities, including allowances for inflation, population growth, and other contingencies; timetable for expenditures sources of funds and arrangements for timely flow of funds.
• Provide arrangement for monitoring of RAP activities by the implementing agency and the independent monitoring of these activities.
The duration of the Services is 4 Months.
The Draft Terms of Reference (TOR) for the services can be found at www.ramp.gov.org
The State Project Implementation Unit (SPIUs) on behalf of the Kwara State Government now invites eligible Consultant (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should Provide Information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The Short Listed Criteria are:
• At least 10 years of proven experience in preparation of Word Bank Safeguards Documents
• Evidence of Registration with CAC
• Evidence of Registration with Federal Ministry of Environment
• Demonstrable experience in preparation of Resettlement instruments (ARAP/RAP) Compensation)
• Demonstrable experience in preparation of environmental Assessment instruments (ESIA/ESMP/Environmental Audit)
• Capacity to conduct baseline analysis for environmental parameters (e.g fauna, flora, soil, water, air quality etc)
• Experience in conducting socioeconomic studies and public consultation;
• Working knowledge and experience and application of the World Bank Policy op4.12 Involuntary Resettlement and op4.01: Environmental Assessment Policy on World Bank funded projects.
• Proven experience of local presence in the project area will be an added advantage;
• Knowledge of gender Issues in development, particularly GBV, including ethical considerations when researching on GBV and relevant international human rights standards;
• Proficiency in English/ local languages
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs.3.14, 3.16 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for Investment Project Financing (IPF) Borrowers” July 2016 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s Policy on Conflict of interest.
Consultants may associate with other firms to enhance their qualification but should indicate clearly whether the association is in the form of a joint venture and/or sub-consultancy, in the case of a joint venture, all the partners in the joint venture shall be jointly and severally liable for the entire contract if selected
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the CQS method set out in the Procurement Regulations.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours i.e 0800 to 0600 hours)
Experience of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below in person or by courier mail on or before 12 noon prompt Wednesday 14 August, 2019
Kwara State Project Coordinator,
Rural Access and Agricultural Marketing Project,
I/C Ministry or Works and Transport,
Ahmadu Bello Way Ilorin
Engr. Akorede Abdul Wahab